----- Original Message ----
From: Alexander Saydakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Clemens Ladisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 4:05:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] midi port does not work

>>  20:0    MPU-401 UART                     MPU-401 UART MIDI
>>
>> $ aseqdump -p 20:0
>> Cannot connect from port 20:0 - Input/output error
>>
>> # tail /var/log/messages
>> ...mpu401_uart.c:263: cmd: 0x3f failed at 0x330 (status = 0x80, data =
 0x90)

Looking at the code I found a magic spell I need to put into /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd-mpu401 uart_enter=0

Looks like this particular port is not fully implemented and does not
understand (and does not need) the 0x3f command. It is always in the uart mode.
Perhaps this needs to be better documented or, even better, handled
automatically in the module. I think that such ports work fine in Windows, so
they probably do some smart probing to detect such cases.

Now I have a different problem. I added SB Live 5.1 card into the system, and
it plays samples beautifully as I press keys on MIDI keyboard. The card has its
own MIDI port:

 16:0    SBLive 5.1 [SB0060]              EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)

This port shows garbage half of the time. Sometimes it shows right note on/off
events, but sometimes complete garbage events like channel aftertouch (keyboard
does not have any), resets or other events unrelated to the keys I push. I see
perfectly good events when I connect the keyboard into the on-board mpu401 port.

I even tried to put this SB Live card into another computer with Fedora 6 (I
think, kernel 2.6.21* and alsa 1.0.14) - the same thing is happening.

Any idea with this one?