On 21-11-07 20:33, Paolo Saggese wrote:

> Thus, I would need a sound card which must be:
>
> * cabable of "bitperfect" (pass through) operation at CD standard
> 16bit/44.1KHz (as well as, possibly, also at higher resolutions and
> sample rates such as 16/48, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192).

16/44.1 is basic enough that any card will be able to operate its S/PDIF
output at it. Traditionally, together with 16/32 and 16/48, and probably
20-bits instead of 16 possible.

"Basic S/PDIF" is limited to those 20-bits with 24-bit as only an option in
the standard but these days any card should do 24-bit fine.

> * capable of "slaving" its SPDIF output clock to an external one,
> such as the one reconstructed from its SPDIF input.

I suppose your external DAC has no actual WordClock (BNC connection) output?
If it does, you have a range of professional products available (and semipro
in for example the TerraTec EWS 88 D/MT coupled with a TerraTec ClockWork
module).

I know the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and Audiophile 192 can sync the master
clock with their S/PDIF in and both are great cards, also analogue, and not
expensive. The 24/96 you'll even be able to locate 2nd hand by now for +/-
EUR 50 or so. Check eBay -- I see them starting at EUR 0,99 ;-)

As far as I'm aware, both card function well on Linux. I have neither card
myself, so ask around a bit for any possible specific trouble though.

Rene.