Am Dienstag, 11. März 2008 schrieb Roger Pryor:
> Hi:
>
> I seem to have a problem with Alsa 1.0.16 when compiling.
>
> My system is: an Open SUSE 10.2 running on a Intel DP965LT mobo, with an
> Intel Core2 Duo E6420 processor.  2 G Ram.  Intel HDA sound card, which
> has given me lot of problems.
>
> OpenSUSE 10.2 comes with Alsa 10.0.14a, which does not seem to properly
> support the Intel HDA chipset.  So, I wanted to upgrade to Alsa 1.0.16.  I
> downloaded all available packages from the Alsa site, built and installed
> the driver (using --with-suse=yes), ran alsaconf and rebooted.  So far so
> good. I built the library, and installed that.  I try to build the utils,
> but it fails with the error "no TLV support in alsa-lib".  I check the date
> on /usr/lib64/libasound.so.2.0.0, only to find it was NOT updated with the
> libray installation, yet the version in /usr/lib was updated.  Temporarily
> symlinking libasound.2.0.0 in /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib allows the
> compilation of alsa-utils to proceed and complete without error.  BUT, all
> other applications that use /usr/lib64/libasound now complain about "wrong
> ELF type, ELFLIB64",  HuH???
>
> Not being a real programmer (Hardware engineer, retired), this says to me
> that:
>
> a)    Perhaps the installation of alsa-lib is placing the library in
>       the wrong directory on 64 bit systems.
>
> b)    If the ELF type in the /usr/lib64 directory IS 64 bit, why is
>       that causing a complaint?
>
> At that point, my head aches and I need some help and guidance, please.

You need to tell compiler, linker, pkfconfig, .. where to get the 32- and
64-bit libraries, how to build and where to put the stuff.  This is done by
CC="gcc -m32" for building 32-bit stuff
CC="gcc -m64" for 64 bit,
setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH properly,
passing the proper libdir to the configure script
(--libdir=/usr/lib, --Libdir=/usr/lib64), ..

There are instructions here:
        http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Main_Page
        http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/ALSA

The main variables used there are:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH32="/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/qt/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/kde/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/firefox-2.0.0.12/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig"
PKG_CONFIG_PATH64="/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/qt/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/kde/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/firefox-2.0.0.12/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R7/lib64/pkgconfig"
BUILD32="-m32"
BUILD64="-m64"

Other stuff can be found here:
        http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/