John Sigler wrote:
>    format       : S32_LE
>    msbits       : 24
> The first sample is stored as 00 00 a5 f5.
> Does this represent the value 0xf5a50000?

Yes.

> For the majority of samples, the first two bytes are 00 00.
> Is this because the input stream was, in fact, a 16-bit stream?

Apparently.

> For the rest of the samples, the first two byte are 08 00.
> Why don't all the samples start with 00 00?
> Does this sequence 08 00 have a special meaning?

Since only the upper 24 bits are used for sample values, the lowest
eight bits are undefined.  The sound card can set them to any value,
although most chips do set them to zero.

I don't know why the HDSP sets this bit in about half of the samples,
it may be some form of dithering.

Regards,
Clemens