On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Risto Suominen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/4/18, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >    I tried looking in through an ssh tunnel, removing the modules and
>  >  watching the list of modules still loaded. The first list is before I
>  >  start the rmmod and the second is during while the terminal is hung at
>  >  'Unloading Alsa modules'. No difference that I can see to apparently
>  >  whatever is causing the problem stops anything from happening.
>  >

>  Well, it might not be an ALSA (driver) problem, after all. Apparently
>  'Killing processes using ALSA' is not doing what it says. The topmost
>  sound driver module, snd-aoa-codec-toonie, is used by 2 (processes).
>  And kernel module unloader probably hangs.
>
>  Risto

Well, OK, maybe it's not the Alsa driver directly. I don't know. My
older machines are forced to run an older kernel - 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 -
due to the ATI driver dropping support for the chipset. Those machines
work as MythTV frontend machines and on those machines (as on all my
other machines) executing a restart of Alsa works. On this machine -
my first MAc/PPC machine - it doesn't.

This may well be a configuration issue caused by me. I just need to
get to the answer.

Looking at a simple x86-based mythfrontend, also running mythfronted,
the modeules loaded are far simpler.

myth14 ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
lirc_streamzap         13060  1
lirc_dev               10468  1 lirc_streamzap
fglrx                 390828  0
ati_agp                 6796  1
agpgart                24240  2 fglrx,ati_agp
snd_atiixp             14604  0
snd_ac97_codec         89120  1 snd_atiixp
snd_ac97_bus            2048  1 snd_ac97_codec
myth14 ~ # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.13 (Tue Nov 28
14:07:24 2006 UTC).
myth14 ~ # uname -a
Linux myth14 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1 PREEMPT Tue May 29 14:58:25 PDT 2007
i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.26GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
myth14 ~ #

I looks like I must have built some of the support into the kernel,
like USB support, and that machine doesn't have 1394. udev is loading
a bunch of this stuff even though I don't really need it so I'll see
if I can get that cleaned up. I don't require ipv6, 1394 (for now
anyway). I'm not sure whether I need the drm module. Lots of things to
figure out and improve.

Still, it seems a problem that a simple restart fails.

Cheers,
Mark