Martin,

> I want to use a RME Multiface soundcard with PCMCIA Cardbus Card on a
> Dell Notebook with Ubuntu. [..]

> Now the card has 8 in and 8 output channels,

Well, actually, you have 18 input and 20 output channels with the
multiface :)

> I get only one digital playback device which is the 2 channels
> already working as plughw:1. Where are my other PCM channels??

They are there, but most alsa programs cannot handle proper channel
selection. You definitely want to use jack and qjackctl/patchage.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net