Mark A Jenks wrote:
> I have a Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 Sound Card CMI8788 that I am looking
> for some help/advice for.
>
> I would like to seperate out the stereo outs to multiple outputs, so I
> can use it as a backend for my house with zones.

The hardware cannot control the four analog outputs independently, but
it's possible to use plugins for ALSA-aware applications.
Put the following into your ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf:

pcm_slave eightchannels {
        pcm "hw:0,0"            # or "hw:1,0" for the second card
        channels 8
}
pcm.stereo1 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
                type dshare
                slave eightchannels
        }
        bindings [ 0 1 ]
}
pcm.stereo2 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm { type dshare slave eightchannels }
        bindings [ 2 3 ]
}
pcm.stereo3 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm { type dshare slave eightchannels }
        bindings [ 4 5 ]
}
pcm.stereo4 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm { type dshare slave eightchannels }
        bindings [ 6 7 ]
}

then use device names "stereo1" to "stereo4" instead of "default" or
"hw:x".

> I also would like to leave the Digital out as an 7.1 to work with my
> stereo for Watching movies.

The SPDIF output is independent; it mirrors the front analog output only
when the "spdif" device is not being used.

HTH
Clemens