> > mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound_track.wav ./source.vob
>
> I'd have figured that out :-) Didn't work with the 96/24 audio...

Well, you could probably do the arecord method.

arecord -D copy -t wav -c 2 -f S24_BE -r 96000 audio_track.wav
(unverified syntax)

Set record to the PCM / VOL device (which I can only do in aumix for some
reason).  Set the gain / lever for PCM to 50% / tastes.  And play the track.
Of course it assumes your soundcard is capable, you have copy in .asoundrc, and
your soundcard can play 24/96kHz.

Although that dvd-audio.sf.net tool might be a better option.  Or you might
just need the mencoder option of -oac copy -ovc null for mplayer.  I don't have
said media, so I can't play / test it out.