> Is there some reason the application doesn't do mono?  Almost all
> I've seen allow you to record only one track.  Even on my MCP61, or
> my Mobile Pre.  Which are stereo devices.  You could look at
> audacity to see how it does it.

Yes you're right, audacity can record only one channel with the alsa
driver.

The things is that when I call
  (err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(handle, hwparams, 1))
, the answer is err= 0, meaning it cannot set channels number to 1.
And if I let it set channels number to 2, my application complains.

> At a minimum you should be able to split the track out after the fact.
>
> $ sox -c 2 stereo.wav -c 1 mono.wav avg -l

No, as you say it's not usefull because I'm doing voice recognition
in real time...

> Maybe not useful for you if you need to do realtime continous
> recording.  Or something like voice recognition.  But arecord
> allows mono recording from a stereo device.

Here is what I get when running arecord to record a mono file :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ arecord -D default -r 48000 -c 1 -f S16_LE truc.wav
Recording WAVE 'truc.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Mono
arecord: set_params:906: Channels count non available

So nobody can give me an answer about how to do it with a .asoundrc
file?

Or is there something that I can do in the implementation of the alsa
driver?