Jason Gauthier wrote:
> I can't find many cards except for the Creative Labs X-Fi that seems to
> fit both.. and from what I read SPDIF passthrough doesn't work.    I'm
> not 100% sure what that means. (Pretty new to this level of audio)

SPDIF was designed to transport two channels of 16-bit uncompressed
audio at 48 kHz (this is 192,000 bytes per second).  If you want to
transport more channels (4.0/5.1/7.1), the data has to be compressed
with a codec like Dolby Digital (AC-3) or DTS, and a special control bit
must be set in the SPDIF stream to indicated that the data is
compressed.  (Since nobody wants to pay for an encoder license, this is
mostly interesting for DVDs, which the audio data already in compressed
form.)

A sound card that can do SPDIF passthrough (usually called DTS/AC3
passthrough) can two things:
1) it does not modify the audio data in any way (every bit is needed for
   decoding), and
2) it allows to set the "non-audio" control bit.

You don't need this feature if all you want is stereo.

> Does anyone have any recommended cards that fit both PCI Express, USB,
> or firewire and SPDIF out?

USB:  There are many devices with SPDIF output, but there isn't any one
that does support passthrough in Linux.

PCI-E:  The X-Fi has SPDIF, and it should not take more than another few
years before Creative adds passthrough support to the driver.  The Asus
Xonar DX and D2X cards do support passthrough, but you need a recent
enough kernel; see
<http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Asus>.

Firewire:  don't know, there is probably nothing that would be cheaper
than the Xonar DX.

HTH
Clemens