On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 13:51 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Try "spdif" instead of "hw:0,1".

Indeed, yes, this has helped.  Thanks.  I was somehow under the
impression that spdif was merely an alias for the digital device, but I
now see I was mistaken.

I've been running into some intermittent flakiness with AC3 passthrough.
After a reboot, I could play PCM via spdif, but AC3 passthrough didn't
work.  I unloaded and reloaded the snd_hda_intel module, and AC3
passthrough worked fine, and so did PCM, until after playing PCM I tried
to passthrough AC3 again and, again, no sound.

Then I did the perfectly obvious thing of setting the IEC958 mixer
setting to mute and things have at least so far been stable, toggling
between PCM and AC3 content, even following a reboot.  (The muting could
well be a complete red herring, mind you.)  It still feels quite
volatile and like it will break at any moment.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, I'd be grateful.  Meanwhile I'll try
to find a way to reliably reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Jason.