Lindsay Roberts wrote:
> I have a board

Which one?

> This is an Intel 945GC chipset (ICH7) with a Realtek ALC662 on it,
> both of which seem to be supported in alsa.
>
> Leaving the dist to its own devices sees it load snd_intel8x0, and
> error out as follows:
>
> codec_ready: codec is not ready[0x8700000]
>
> Assuming what I know about the division between snd_hda_intel and
> snd_intel8x0 is correct this doesn't suprise me a great deal because
> the ALC662 is actually a Realtek hda chip, not an ac97 chip.
>
> Seems like the pci id registered for the ICH7 in snd_hda_intel is
> 8086:27d8 and the one in snd_intel8x0 is 8086:27de . The device on my
> board is of course pci id 8086:27de . Hacking in that pci id to
> snd_hda_intel was completely unenlightening:
>
> hda-intel: ioremap error

The BIOS is responsible for switching the controller into either AC97
or HDA mode.  It appears this was not done correctly in your case.
As the chip is currently configured, you _do_ have an AC97 controller
(without an AC97 codec).

I have no explanation for this, except maybe a wrong BIOS (for a
different mainboard), or a hardware error.

Did it ever work?

> One final juicy tidbit is that it reports no subsystem vendor/device
> (zeroes all round).

IIRC these IDs are to be initialized by the BIOS, too.

Best regards,
Clemens