I have an ASUS M3N78-VM motherboard with onboard nVidia audio,
including HDMI audio output.  My goal is to send all audio output over
the HDMI connector, eventually passing ac3 to a stereo.  I'm trying
out a recent version of sound-2.6.git for the support of the nVidia
HDMI codec and have compiled alsa-utils 1.0.18.

# uname -r
2.6.28-rc7-00437-g880746b

I believe I've correctly compiled the kernel with the correct driver
and codecs (VIA and NVIDIA  selected).  The output from `aplay -l`
shows the two devices I expected to see

# aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
 Subdevices: 2/2
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But `aplay -L` doesn't show any iec958/spdif/hdmi device name, which
from my online searches, I was expecting to see.

# aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
   Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
   Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
null

I see digital playback listed twice in the /proc fs:
# cat /proc/asound/devices
 0: [ 0]   : control
16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
33:        : timer

and alsamixer shows an IEC958 control, which is unmuted along with
everything else, yet I get no sound out.  I have tried specifying
hw=0,0 and hw=0,3 and am unable to play sound out either the HDMI
connector or the optical SPDIF connector.  Can anyone identify what
I'm doing wrong?

alsa-info.sh
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2d19d52ccb307fb29407d2f5dae944d79d8d571a