I'm running recent sound-2.6.git on an Asus M3N78-VM motherboard with
onboard nVidia analog, optical SPDIF out, and HDMI audio out.

I've gotten both the analog and HDMI output working, but can't get the
optical SPDIF out.  I think it's partially recognized.  It doesn't
show up under `aplay -L`, but neither does the HDMI.  However, no
digital out is show under `aplay -l`.  I see a subdevice #1 under card
0, device 0, but that's labelled as analog and the optical jack never
even lights up.

 aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I've read of similar issues on other devices and codecs, like adding
"6stack-dig" as a module option for a mobo with ATI HDMI and a Realtek
ALC883 codec.  If I look in
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt in the kernel source, I
see 6stack-dig and many other options for many other codecs, but I
don't see any for my Via VT1708B.

Am I on the right track?  Is it likely to be one of these options I'm
missing.  Any ideas on which might work for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.