rek...@holisticode.se wrote:
> I have been searching the web for an example of how to get sourround
> sound from my toslink input [...] I realise that an a52 filter should
> be used,

The a52 plugin encodes PCM data into Dolby data, and as a plugin, it is
only used when an application uses the specified sound device.

What you want to do is to record from the digital input device, convert
the data from Dolby to PCM, then output this to the analog output
device.

It should be possible to do this by using arecord to capture raw data,
then piping it into ac3dec.

untested, assuming card 0:
        arecord -D spdif:0 -f dat -t raw | ac3dec -D hw:0 -6

HTH
Clemens