Jens Rutschmann wrote:
> I have a C-Media USB Headphone Set which is working well. One issue though is
> that when plugging it in the mixer levels are initialized to bad values. The
> "Speaker" level is set to 100% (*very* loud, like in "ouch !!!") while the
> "Mic
> Capture" level is set to 0%.
>
> Therefore I set the mixer levels by hand (using alsamixer) until now. So I
> wrote
> a script which is invoked by udev. The script tries to set the levels using
> amixer.
> [...]
> So I wrote the following script and udev rule:
>
> ATTR{idProduct}=="000c", ATTR{idVendor}=="0d8c", ACTION=="add",
> RUN+="/usr/local/bin/headset_volume.sh"
> The script is executed since I get the log file, but amixer obviously isn't
> executed correctly,

I don't know why your script doesn't work, but the following udev rule
works for me, and it does not need to be adjusted for the specific sound
device but just requires that you've previously saved the the correct
settings with "alsactl store":

 SUBSYSTEM=="sound", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*",
RUN+="/usr/sbin/alsactl restore $number"

HTH
Clemens