Hello Everybody,

I am new to Linux and to alsamixer. I started to get more information on
alsamixer because the mic for skype on my machine worked with Windows but
not with Linux.  It is a mic with a headset.  I spent days on the Internet
trying out various suggestions from skype-linux users to no avail.

I found that although aplay was working on my computer, arecord was not. I
played back the wav files provided with the linux distribution for various
system beeps and sounds. I am able to navigate through the alsamixer
screen using tab, space, etc in order to select the mic, capture, mic
boost, master and other settings but arecord still does not record. I have
used the alsamixer -vv and the vu meter either stays at 0% or varies
between 0-5% and the file when played back is only static.

I read a very interesting exchange between A. A. Hamilton and Stan on
Alsa-user

[Alsa-user] Which ALSA mixer is the correct one? A.A.Hamilton

So I too ran the alsa-info script and it is uploaded at the url below

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=b167375a3236f2ebb3f076ff179f2c3cbd5373c2

One thing I noticed in the script output uploaded by A A H and that was
the Analog Source. In his case, the Line in was selected and Stan
suggested changing that to Mic. In the alsa-info output from my setup,
there is no Analog source only Analog Device. I do not know if it makes a
difference

Although I have mic input at the back and the front of the computer, there
is no separate setting in the alsamixer. There is just one mic.

I would appreciate it if some of you could give some suggestions as to how
I could get the mic to work with arecord. Maybe I am being optimistic but
I have a feeling that if the mic works with arecord, it will also work
with skype.

Thank you in advance.

Saleem