Hi,

From: David Henderson <dhender...@digital-pipe.com>
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] First post
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:28:48 -0400

> Thanks for the reply Pierre.  I checked into the blfs book, but
> it merely says "these five chapters will cover alsa" and then
> gives you a basic "type configure && make".  This is obviously
> not going to answer the questions below. :) Any other thoughts?
>
> Dave
>

> On 06/19/2011 11:22 PM, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like to me such questions are well answered in the
>> blfs book. I personnaly think that the latter is a very good
>> tool to build his own custom distro.
>>
>> Bests
>>
>> Pierre
>>

>> From: David Henderson<dhender...@digital-pipe.com>
>> Subject: [Alsa-user] First post
>> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:41:08 -0400
>>
>>> Hi everyone!  I'm currently expanding my knowledge of GNU/Linux
>>> include building packages from scratch towards an overall goal
>>> of a
>>> custom distro.  So far, I have a nice base for a command line
>>> OS, but
>>> want to expand into the multimedia aspect.  Alsa was my first
>>> (only?)
>>> choice for the audio portion, but I'm running into problems.
>>> The alsa
>>> site is somewhat overwhelming to newbies and is easy to get
>>> lost.  I
>>> have a few questions below from which I hope I can find help.
>>> All
>>> contributions are greatly appreciated. :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> 1) Currently I have downloaded alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and
>>> alsa-utils
>>> packages.  Is there an order in which these packages need to be
>>> compiled
>>> and installed?

    This question is answered by the blfs book. First alsa-lib
    and after alsa-utils.

>>> 2) I'm currently running the relatively new Linux kernel 2.6.33
>>> so do I
>>> need the alsa-driver package?

    No ! I am running a 2.6.32 kernel and never installed
    alsa-driver. Anyway if the sound system is something very
    exotic it might be necessary ...

>>> 3) I've been able to successfully compile the alsa-lib package
>>> and
>>> install it in the custom distro.  When I try to compile the
>>> alsa-utils
>>> package, I constantly get the error:
>>>
>>> checking for libasound headers version>= 1.0.16... not present.
>>> configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not
>>> found.
>>>
>>> I'm actually using an existing Kubuntu installation to build
>>> the
>>> packages for my custom distro.  As a result, after I compiled
>>> the newer
>>> alsa-lib, I didn't install the package into the Kubuntu OS, but
>>> rather a
>>> staging directory (/opt/staging/alsa).  I'm sure the reason
>>> this is
>>> failing is because it's probably looking for /usr/lib/... or
>>> some other
>>> default location.  How do I tell the configure script for the
>>> alsa-utils
>>> to look in the staging directory for the header files it needs?

    Humm ! I don't really understand this method. In my opinion
    if you want to have a custom distro you first install a
    basic systme on a partition or in a directory. Once the
    basic system is installed (more or less the content of the
    lfs book) you simply chroot to this new system to install
    the rest of the stuff. Following this scheme there will be
    no problem. I did it many times !

    It leads me to a more global question : you say you want to
    build a custom distro but do you have some kind of
    documentation to do that ? If you plan to do that on your
    own, it's a big deal ! Anyway I'll suggest you to have a
    look at the lfs book. It might be that the installation
    schedule suggested by the lfs team is not suitable for you
    but in my opinion it is better to check this point before
    "reinventing the weel" as we say in french !

    Bests

    Pierre

>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/ephox-dev2dev