On 07/22/2012 05:19 PM, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, Doug wrote:
>
>> I've asked a number of places, and haven't seen an answer--at least one
>> that didn't involve Pulse audio.
>> I have on-board sound--hw0 HDA Intel  and a video card with sound
>> decoder out to HDMI port with video, hw1 HDA NVidia.
>> I have AlsaMixer, KMix, QASMixer,and qjackCtl.   My distro runs KDE,
>> with kernel 3.18. I printed out the DAW file
>> from the qjackctl device, but it snows me, and I wouldn't dream of
>> recompiling my kernel!  Is there any
>> simple way I can, with the software I have installed, make both sound
>> decoders output simultaneously to their
>> respective loads--the sound card to local speaker system, and the HDMI
>> to a TV?  If so, please, please,
>> tell me in simple language how to do this.
>
> I am not sure I can give any advice, but let me check on a couple of
> questions
> that may help get better advice.
>
> a) both cards at present work singly. Ie you can put out sound to each
> of them
> and have it come out where you want?
>
> b) What do you mean by "simultaneous"? Do you mean within a few
> seconds of
> each other, or withing a few microseconds of each other? Eg., are you
> trying to
> listen to both sources at the same time so a few ms delay in one would be
> completely obvious, or are those being piped to remote corners of the
> house
> where a few seconds delay in one would be OK?
>

> c) Is this the same input that y ou are trying to put out onto the two
> sound
> cards or different inputs?
a) Both cards work, but not from Linux.  I have XP on the machine also, and
from XP, using the NVidia driver for XP, I can get both video and sound
on the TV.
ONLY on the TV--no sound comes out the local speakers when the HDMI is
connected in XP. (Video works locally at the same time in Linux.)  I
have never been
able to get sound on the TV from Linux.  In previous attempts, with
different mixers,
I could either (1) not see the volume sliders, or (2) see the sliders,
but they
were set immovably to zero.

b) I mean within microseconds. I need the sound synced to the video, because
I want to watch musical performances from YouTube, or tv programs, or
videos from DVDs, or whatever I can see and hear on the local desktop.

c) I think I answered this in the previous question (b), but if I
misunderstand,
please clarify the question.  (I'm not trying to look at and listen to
one signal
on the desktop and something different on the TV at the same time, even tho
Linux is a multitasking os.)

Thank you for taking an interest.

--doug