On 08/16/2012 07:53 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 04:29 PM, Anders Genell wrote:
>>
>> 16 aug 2012 kl. 19:07 skrev Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net
>> <mailto:dmcgarr...@optonline.net>>:
>>
>>> I'm running PCLinuxOS, and it does not come with .asoundrc.  Some time
>>> ago I asked here for some help to get
>>> sound to come out of BOTH the Intel on-board sound decoder and the
>>> GeForce NVidia HDMI port at the same
>>> time all the time. (The NVidia card has its own sound decoder.)  If I
>>> had .asoundrc, would that help, and if so, what
>>> should the script be?
>>>
>>> --Thanx--doug
>> Dear Doug!
>>
>> Below are the hints I could manage to scramble together during your
>> last troubleshooting,
>>   - I don't know if they are still useful?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anders
>>

>>> I found a version of it here:
>>> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/M-Audio_Quattro
>>> although it mentions /root/.asoundrc as proper placement which I
>>> would not recommend.
>>>
>>> The idea is to create a "multi" device from your two hardware devices
>>> (e.g. hw:0,0 and hw:1,0) as described for the Quattro. Then create a
>>> "plug" device for handling automatic conversion (your software might
>>> not support the precise format needed by the "multi" device). In the
>>> example there is a routing table for the "plug" device consisting of
>>> expressions like "ttable.0.0 1;"
>>> Those expression mean something like "route input nr 0 to output nr 0
>>> with level 1". Channels are numbered from 0. By doing something like
>>> ttable.0.0 1;
>>> ttable.1.1 1;
>>> ttable.0.2 1;
>>> ttable.1.3 1;
>>> you duplicate what is coming on the first two channels from your
>>> software to the two output channel pairs. If you have setup the
>>> "multi" device properly that would mean sound out on both devices.
>>> There are a number of pitfalls that may need to be avoided, but give
>>> it a go and shout back if you get stuck!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> /A
>>>
> /snip/
>
> I am still kind of snowed by all this, as I have been all along.  Do you
> suggest that I just copy the M-Audio_Quattro file, just modifying the
> ttable lines iaw with your suggestion?  And call it .asoundrc? Or do
> something else?
> Do I need to do anything about a jack input, and if so, do I need a
> script for that?
> I'm not sure what Quattro is/was--I found some kind of usb audio box on
> Google, but I don't think that's involved, and some other reference to
> some Quattro hw or sw that runs on a Mac.
>
> I will try and add an /etc/.asoundrc with the ttables modified as you
> indicate, and see what happens.  If things get worse I can always rename
> the file to something innocuous.
>
> If it is of any use to you, here is my aplay -l output:
>
> doug@Linux1 ~]$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
> Digital]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>     Subdevices: 1/1
>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Sorry that I'm such a dunce.  OTOH, I can't be the only one who ever
> wanted to do this.  It ought to be built in to the kernel!
> Since it's child's play to get two video screens, why is it so hard to
> get two audio outputs? (Granted, the two videos come
> out of the same card.)
>
> Thank you for your patience!  --doug

Did what I said--it hasn't blown up the local sound, but there's still
no sound
on the HDMI channel.  No way to know if the machine has even looked at
the /etc/.asoundrc file, but it's definitely there. I'm listening to an
Internet
radio station on realplayer, and it's coming out my local speakers, but
no sound from the TV. Of course, the file refers to quattro, which I don't
have.  I didn't do anything with jack, since I don't understand it at all.
There is no q4 device, that I know of.

--doug