Hi Vincent,

Vincent Gulinao schrieb am 02.05.2013 19:19:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a task to setup a system that will continuously capture multiple
> stereo signals using a MADI audio card (RME HDSPe MADI) and write them into
> files (perhaps in 1 hour chunks). Few checks I've learned while googling on
> the topic looks like that my linux setup seem to recognize the card at
> least.
>
> I'm a total noob in ALSA and audio concepts in general. I've read many docs
> and forums (e.g. arecord, asoundrc, pulseaudio, jack, etc.) here and there.
> But while I wait all those info settle in my mind, can somebody pitch here
> some high-level hints on what things I need to know, or what sort of
> questions should I be asking, to accomplish this task and make sure I'm on
> the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance!

There's an application targeted at recording audio continuously in
chunks of 1 hour length called 'rotter':

http://www.aelius.com/njh/rotter/

I didn't use this application for quite some time, so I don't know
whether this program still does what you are looking for. But at the
time I used the program it just worked: lightweight and solid.

rotter requires that you run the jack audio server (you would let jack
run all the time).

For sure there are other (better?) options that I don't know of, but
your goal (continuously in 1 hour chunks) seems to be exactly what
rotter was built for...