A few months ago, Clemens was kind enough to explain how to set a volume
control, given its name, using the snd_ctl_elem_value_xxx functions. By
experimenting on my Ubuntu system, it appeared that values from 0 to 0xFFFF
ran the master volume through its entire range, as shown by having alsamixer
running at the same time.

Now, I run the same code on an embedded board, and it's always maxed out, or
off at the bottom. I used "alsactl store" on both systems, and the master
volume entries on both systems are identical, specifying a range of '0 -
64', a dbmin of -6400 and a dbmax of 0. (I assume those are really
millibels.)

So how does one programmatically find the range of a control? I'd prefer to
have plain linear voltage control, but I'll take anything I can get as long
as I know what the shape of the curve is.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pdero...@ix.netcom.com