Phil and list,

On Sep 26, 2015 03:21, "Philip Rhoades" <p...@pricom.com.au> wrote:

> People,
>
> Years ago when I needed to simplify things to solve audio hardware
> problems, I had to remove PA - and for every new version ever since I
> have automatically uninstalled it to continue to keep things as simple
> as possible - which generally works well for me.  Mostly I play audio
> and video stuff from the CLI with mplayer but on odd occasions, like
> when I want to listen to a long audio book, it is more convenient to use
> QuodLibet which remembers where I am up to on the MP3.  However I have
> found that if I forget to exit QL, then mplayer does not work . . I
> guess there is no solution to having multiple players open at the same
> time - but not playing at the same time - and being able to switch
> between them without reinstalling PA?
>
> I also quite frequently have problems with audio on Chrome...

Phil, my environment and use of it is somewhat different than yours.

I use Ubuntu; leave Pulse in place; use the standard video application
(totem, I think) for video and Guayadeque for audio rather than mplayer and
QuodLibet, talking directly to Alsa and to an external DAC; use Firefox for
the web in general and for YouTube and Vimeo (though not much) and use
Chrome only for Netflix.

Given those differences, my experience with Pulse in the last several
releases has been problem-free. In particular, no problems of the type you
describe.

So my advice to you would be to try Pulse out again.