gw1500 wrote on 10/20/2015 04:20 PM:
> I apologize if this is a duplicate post but I think something happened
> to my subscription and I had to resubscribe.
>
> I just installed alsa (1.0.28-2) from the CentOS 7 repository and cannot
> get it to work. When I try a known good 'wav' file with 'aplayer' all I
> get is a continuous hiss. Can someone help me trouble shoot this? TIA.

Try this solution (from my ALSA-solution on Debian; I've removed pulseaudio):

As root determine the sound card number you want to use as the
default sound card by issuing the shell command
   # aplay -l

Save and replace your /etc/asound.conf by the following one
and replace therein the "card" number.

Reboot

Verify that the virtual device named "default" is listed under
   # aplay -L

In your applications set the audio device to "default".

Flash plugin by default uses the "default" device, but
for vlc in ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc one must manually disable
the following entry by putting a # in front of the line
   alsa-audio-device=

This solution also allows multiple apps to share the same sound card at the
same time.

# /etc/asound.conf
# All AV-apps should/must use the device "default" for sharing to work

pcm.mymixer {
     type asym

     playback.pcm {
         # See plugin:dmix at