Guys,

On 2016-02-24 11:28, chris hermansen wrote:
> Doug, Philip, list;
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM, doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/23/2016 03:10 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>> People,
>>>
>>> I know this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone here have any
>>> experience setting up a voicemail recording system for a POTS
>> phone?  I
>>> thought it should be simpler than using say using Asterisk to set
>> up a
>>> whole PABX but maybe it isn't . .
>>>
>>> Yhanks,
>>>
>>> Phil.
>> It depends on what you are trying to do. If you just want to record
>> the
>> audio on a telephone line, the easiest way is
>> a small audio transformer and a capacitor. Say a 10000 Ohm 1:1 audio
>> transformer and about a 0.1 microfarad capacitor
>> rated at 100 volts DC or better in series with the transformer on
>> the
>> phone line side. Connect the secondary to the recorder
>> or computer line input.
>>
>> If you're trying to run voice in both directions from, say, a
>> computer
>> to the phone line, you need a telephone modem, which
>> is explicitly designed to do that job.

The main reason is to simply replace my answering machine with my
computer - I don't need to make calls out or record my conversations or
anything like that - the setup justs needs to answer the phone when I am
not around and record a message as a WAV file or something . .

> Most older laptops include a modem.  Or if you don't have one of those
> you can buy a cheapo modem
>
> Here is a reference you might find useful
> http://www.linuxtoys.org/answer/answering_machine.html
>
> Here is another http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/answering_machine/
>
> Another
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/513004/telephone-call-answering-machine-software
>
> Another
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/44624/is-there-a-way-for-linux-to-pick-up-the-phone
>
> You may also be able to do the job with vgetty
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/vgetty

I will have a look at all that - thanks!

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades