I've used alsa and firefox.  By default java (in debian) is configured
for pulseaudio.

FILE: /etc/java-7-openjdk/sound.properties

But both alsa and pulseaudio configs are in there (in debian).  Just
comment out pulse and uncomment alsa.  I switch between a lot,
depending on if I am home or using my laptop as a laptop.  Which also
affects icedtea-web, the java plugin for the browser IIRC.

FILE: .asoundrc
### for pulseaudio
#ctl.pulse { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
#pcm.pulse { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
#ctl.!default { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
#pcm.!default { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
### for alsa
defaults.ctl.card 0
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
###---end---

Comment swap there too.  As well as comment modify/swap
.config/pulse/client.conf since I pulseaudio over the network.  The 30
band calf eq chews up a lot of the CPU so I offloaded that to another
laptop.  A little high end boost to keep the ancient speakers sounding
normal-ish.  Depending on my lazy level I'll sometimes use two users,
one configured for alsa, one for pulseaudio.

About the only issue is that adobe's flash uses pulseaudio, so if
you're still using that you'll have "issues" with flash content.  In
days of old there's a compat thing you could install and it can be
made to work.  I'm not sure of the current methodology.  But at least
aoss can be avoided in most cases now.

Most of my flash stuff these days is the freshplayer plugin and
googles chrome pepperflash plugin (in firefox).  Freshplayer from
sources in debian stable, and pepperflash extracted and manually
maneuvered.  Recently moved out of the chrome.deb (version 54+) and
put somewhere else.  But it respects the .asound the client.conf
config settings.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

The ppapi one is the pepperflash download.  My manual method puts them
in the  ~/. settings area so I never had to be root and only that one
user gets to use it. YMMV, depending on distro.  I tend towards debian
stable from a minimal install via debootstrap.  It's faster for me on
my slow internet, and I can get extras like network drivers while
still on the network with the host linux install.  Much like an
arch-chroot install.

- James