I have encountered a strange problem.  About 6 months ago, I added a USB
sound adapter and alsa to an ARM based linux system.  I used aplay to
play wav files successfully.
Now, the playback has a crackling noise in it.  I can not find anything
that has changed.  A few units still play with no noise, but I cannot
determine any difference between them and the ones with the noise.

One odd thing is if I run an application to make the CPU busy while
playing the audio wav file, the noise seems to go away.  Any ideas on
where to look for the root cause?

Jay