On Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:40 AM Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 10:15:34 +0200,
> Axel Holzinger wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:27 PM Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Linux
> > (via

> device
> > > or
> > >
> > > Hm, this sounds odd.  But the line doesn't really correspond to the
> > > latest version of alsa-lib.  Could you try to upgrade to the latest
> > > version?  Otherwise it's hard to debug.
> >
> > I installed ALSA with Debian apt-get. How would I update to a newer
> version?
>
> Compiling by yourself?
> alsa-lib has very few dependency, so it should be easy.

I'm fine with that but does it suffice to compile only alsa-lib or do I have
to compile other moduels also (hdspm driver, hdspmixer, etc)? Is the ABI
stable within different versions?

If only alsa-lib, configure, make, make install? Should I uninstall the
alsa-lib debian package before?

> 4
> > > SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_INFO,
> > O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
> 0
> = 0
> ENXIO
> > > (No such
> > >
> > > This error is expected and should be OK.  It's an mmap of
> > > status/control page, and this isn't supported on ARM, thus the kernel
> > > returns -ENXIO.  alsa-lib then falls back to the normal ioctl instead
> > > of status/control mmap.
> >
> > Okay, got it. So is the mmap emulation plugin via asound.conf suggested
by
> > Anders needed then anyhow?
>
> It's irrelevant with the mmap emulation.

Well, not with my tests. Without asound.conf (with the mmap emulation
plugin) aply does NOT play audio on the MADI card. With asound.conf it does.

> > > But the ring-buffer mmap is supported as normal on ARM for MADI
> > > driver, at least.  MADI provides the SG-buffer that is mappable via
> > > DMA coherent pages, and it should work on most of archs as is.
> >
> > Well I found out something more: If I don't give a "--device" parameter
> > aplay and the RME card is default, then audio is playing. But I give the
"
> > --device=default:CARD=HDSPMx5c74" then the error is occuring. That
> doesn't
> > make sense to me at all. The tests made were with the asound.conf Anders
> > suggested. Isn't that strange?
>
> Are you using dmix or such?  It appears more like a configuration
> issue.  With the unmodified configuration, the "default" PCM for HDSPM
> should be equivalent with "plughw".

Only ommitting "--device=" or "--device=default" is working. aplay
--device=plughw:CARD=HDSPMx5c7496,DEV=0 does NOT work. Again it's working
only with asound.conf.

> Could you check whether aplay -M works without device option?

aplay -M audio.wav is working (but as written above, only WITH asound.conf
and only without "--device" or with "--device=default").

> > > You should have another error from mmap, with a different offset
> > > value.  That's the real error we need to track down.
> >
> > I attached the complete strace.
>
> OK, the strace shows the mmap failure of the second channel.

The second audio channel? Please forgive my ignorance.

> > > (And, 4.1.x is pretty old, rather too old for debugging, too...)
> >
> > Well, I know, but the kernel is a TI based manufacturer kernel for a SoC
> > (AM5728). I'm not such an expert to update that to current kernel
version
> > unfortunately.
> >
> > If you don't mind I have another question: If specifying a device
> > "--device", how would I "send" audio to the "upper" channels/tracks of
the
> > MADI card? If I ommit the "--device" parameter audio is playing on
> > channels/tracks 1+2. How would I play audio to channels/tracks 33+34 for
> > example?
>
> Well, you likely need to fiddle with the asoundrc in such a case.
> Maybe a better option is to use JACK or such, I suppose.

Okay, I will do that as soon as the card is working relaibly.

Thank you!
Axel