Ah, thanks. I thought I'd tried that to see if it was working, but I must
have gotten the device string format wrong or something. arecord is
perfectly happy recording from either device. So I guess my problem is
really in JACK (or it's just impossible to use both devices at once). I'll
hunt down the JACK support forums/mailing lists, and see what I can find
out.

Thanks!