Thanks for the reply, below are the outputs from Amixer,  still don't work.
The two categories of controls intrigues me:
  "Controls      : 6        Simple ctrls  : 1"

fili@debian:~$ amixer -c 1
Simple mixer control 'Power LED',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

fili@debian:~$ amixer info -c 1
Card hw:1 'S51'/'Creative Technology SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 at
usb-0000:00:14.0-1, high speed'
  Mixer name : 'USB Mixer'
  Components : 'USB041e:3042'
  Controls      : 6