Richard Grace wrote:

> > I have an old Travan floppy tape (400mb uncompressed).
>
> This makes me wonder if anyone is using Colorado QIC floppy tapes...?

I have a Colorado 1400 floppy tape drive and an FC-20 floppy controller.
I use QIC-3020 650MB tapes from 3M (Imation) (MC3000XL). It all works
fine under Linux and AMANDA. I have posted a detailed message to this
list about compilation of ftape for use with AMANDA on Oct. 25th 2000.

> Has anyone got (or heard of) one running with amanda?  Perhaps there is > better
>support in Linux or Solaris x86?

ftape is actively maintained on linux by Claus-Justus Heine. There is a
mailing list (linux-tape) which will certainly answer your questions.
Check the Linux Ftape Homepage at
http://www.instmath.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape. AMANDA works fine with
ftape under Linux. I will be glad to help where I can to get this work
for you too.

> I really only need to back up /etc on the local machine and a few others so the size
>of the tape would be perfect if I can make it work.

Go on and give it a try!

--
Regards

Chris Karakas