Hi.  I am having a chronic problem with some file systems which are
active all of the time.  I am running gnu-tar 1.13.19 with amanda
2.4.1p1, and it returns 2, which causes amanda to fail.

In looking over the archives of mail messages on the subject, it seems
like there are two solutions.  I want to make sure I understand the
situation.

1) write a wrapper for gnu-tar, which what Paul Bijnens did ( I think).
Where might I get a copy of the wrapper?

2) Recompile sendbackup with the -DIGNORE_TAR_ERRORS parameter, which
might not work properly, either.

In mid-October 2000, Dan Mueth had a similar problem, and he fixed it by
turning on DMA and 32 bit I/O, which doesn't make sense to me, unless by
getting the backups to run faster, he was able to avoid contention
instead of ignoring contention.

In 1999, Alexandre Oliva suggested that Paul Eggert, who is currently
maintaining GNU tar, fold in some patches that would fix gtar's handling
of --ignore-failed-read .

Is my understanding correct?  Do other people have this problem and if
so, how do they deal with it?

Many thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.