I have a suggestion for you Andrew (of course it involves more work
for you).

A number of times I have seen on this list (and I have experienced it
myself) that exclusion problems are related to broken versions of
GNU tar.

At a minimum, you should have a "Broken GNU tar" section, and let
other people tell you what those broken versions are.

--
Tom Schutter (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Platte River Associates, Inc. (http://www.platte.com)