> Amrecover is not the issue.  The issue is why amindexd is quitting.  I
> assume both machines are connecting to the same amindexd server?

Everything's happening on the same machine.  The problem is not amindexd
quitting, I believe, but rather amrecover not being able to connect to it.
We ran another strace, this time on amrecover, that shows this.

We've gotten it working now, by going back to 2.4.2, applying the /dev/root
fix, rebuilding, reinstalling, etc.  I'll look at amrecover diffs between
2.4.2 and 2.4.2p1 and see if I can track the problem down.

Carey