Ok, I think finally understand what Marty is trying to say.  Marty, there
are many people on this list who have been using samba for years and
understand it very well and how it interacts with amanda, and if we
couldn't understand the gist of your initial question, don't blame our
lack of understanding of the english language. :-)

Marty says his samba setup works, but because of the fallback from wins to
broadcast the lookup takes longer than amanda is willing to wait.  Amanda
times out and as far as amanda is concerned, smbclient failed.  I'm not
even sure what the implications of this are or how to make it work more
efficiently, I'm just interpreting what he stated.

Marty, is this correct?

Now, this said, I still think the problem is with samba.  You should 'fix'
your samba setup so that it doesn't take so long to do a lookup.

Todd

--
Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920