verdon wrote:

> i'm actually installing amanda on a few server (redhat 6.2) "this is
> probably why i'm always asking strange question" :)
>
> usually when running ./configure i get:
>
> checking disk device prefixes... /dev/ - /dev/
> checking whether posix fcntl locking works... (cached) yes
>
> but on one server i have the following error and compilation abort with
> some error
>
> checking disk device prefixes... /dev/ - /dev/
> checking whether posix fcntl locking works... (cached) no
> checking whether flock locking works... (cached) no
> checking whether lockf locking works... (cached) no
> checking whether lnlock locking works... (cached) no
> configure: warning: *** No working file locking capability found!
> configure: warning: *** Be VERY VERY careful.
>
> this server is running like the other:
> redhat-6.2
> glibc-2.1.3-15
> glibc-devel-2.1.3-15
>
> i have look in my kernel configuration for an optional "posix support"
> that i would have not enable!?? but i didn't find anything about it
> i just have change my kernel to 2.4.2 but this didn't change anything?
>
> I've look for similar error in amanda mailing list archives ...without
> great success...

You cannot run glibc-2.1.* with a 2.4 kernel.  They are incompatible in
a number of ways.  Either downgrade the kernel to a 2.2 or upgrade glibc
to a 2.2.  In general, it isn't a good idea (unless you're a kernel
hacker) to run anything more advanced than what appears in the
appropriate updates directory on update.redhat.com.  It surprises me
more than a little bit that the system works well enough to do much of
anything on it!

        Cheers,
        Marty
--
Marty Shannon, RHCE, Independent Computing Consultant
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]