I am using gnu-tar and am trying to make use of its "exclude file"
capability within Amanda.
Can soneone help me out with 2 basic "exclude file" questions?

1) Do I need to put the exclude files on each client that makes use of
them, or do they reside on the server?
e.g
--- in disklist on server
# fred - test client
fred /usr  {
        user-tar
        exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/xray/fred.exclude"
}
Should fred.exclude be on the amanda server, or on fred?

2) I am trying to backup a partition that is too large to fit on a
single tape. I have tried to "thin-out" the amount of data that gets
archived by using exclude files, however amanda still complains that
the partition will not fit on a single tape.
Is their a work-around for this problem?

Thanks,
Justin.