Solaris 8, which is running on some systems I'm backing up,
has a new feature "file system snapshots".  It sounds like
one could put a wrapper around amdump something like:

  - Create the file system snapshot.  If using gnutar, mount it
    (readonly) on an available directory

  - dump the snapshot device or tar the mount directory with
    no worries about changes while backing up nor altered time
    stamps on the real fs

  - unmount (if necessary) and delete the snapshot

Before I reinvent someones wheel, has anyone tried this?

Any problems I should anticipate, eg. the backed-up file system
or directory is different than the disklist entry?  Performance?

jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]