Hi John,

thank you for your quick response. This night the backup was finished
successfully but it tells a lot of overwriting backups on previous tapes.
I've attached just the NOTES section from tonights mail:

NOTES:
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver:/home2 on tape
NEURO001 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver:/home3 on tape
NEURO003 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver:/var/spool/mail on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuro021:/var/lib/pgsql on tape
NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuro034:/home on tape NEURO002
overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuro057:/home on tape NEURO002
overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuro057:/usr on tape NEURO001
overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro068/HeineT on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro031/docu on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro040/dbase on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro040/liquid on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro040/texte on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro040/priv2000 on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro065/epilepsie
on tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro035/user$ on
tape NEURO001 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro027/schneider$
on tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of neuroserver://neuro055/genetic on
tape NEURO002 overwritten in 1 run.
  taper: tape NEURO007 kb 11427200 fm 23 [OK]

And for recovering a file from tonights backup I can use amrecover:

This is what amrecover tells me after start up and changing to the disk in
question:

neuroserver# ~backup/sbin/amrecover
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p1. Contacting server on neuroserver ...
220 neuroserver AMANDA index server (2.4.2p1) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2001-07-25)
200 Working date set to 2001-07-25.
200 Config set to NEURO.
200 Dump host set to neuroserver.
Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD
amrecover> setdisk /opt/samba2.1
Scanning /opt/dumps...
200 Disk set to /opt/samba2.1.

BUT: setting the date to something earlier gives:

amrecover> setdate 2001-07-12
200 Working date set to 2001-07-12.
No index records for cwd on new date
Setting cwd to mount point

"John R. Jackson" wrote:

> >I'd like to recover a file from the backup using amrecover.
> >Unfortunately amrecover tells me, that there is no index available for
> >the given disk/date/host. BUT: As fas as I can see, there are all index
> >files in the index directory /usr/adm/amanda...
>
> OK, let's tackle this problem first.
>
> It would help to see the actual amrecover messages (all of them), as
> well as know what version of Amanda you're using.

This is included in the amrecover message above...

> First, let's make sure the index files are where they should be.  Run:
>
>   amgetconf <config> indexdir

$ amgetconf NEURO indexdir
/usr/adm/amanda/NEURO/index

> That points to the top level of the index directory.  Within there should
> be a directory for each of your clients.  The name will be the same as
> (or very close to -- '/' and whitespace are converted to '_' and '_'
> is converted to '__', but that's rare in a host name) the disklist entry.
>
> Within each client directory will be a directory for each disk.  Those
> names will be similar (see above) to the disk name, e.g. "/dev/hda5"
> would be "_dev_hda5".
>
> Within a disk directory will be the gzip'ed index files.  They have
> a datestamp and level in the name, and you must have all of them back
> through the full dump preceeding the date you're requesting.

The directory content of indexdir/neuroserver/_opt_samba2.1 is

20010614_0.gz  20010622_1.gz  20010630_2.gz  20010710_0.gz  20010718_0.gz
20010615_1.gz  20010623_1.gz  20010703_0.gz  20010711_1.gz  20010719_1.gz
20010616_1.gz  20010626_0.gz  20010704_1.gz  20010712_0.gz  20010720_2.gz
20010619_2.gz  20010627_1.gz  20010705_1.gz  20010713_1.gz  20010721_2.gz
20010620_0.gz  20010628_1.gz  20010706_2.gz  20010714_1.gz  20010725_0.gz
20010621_1.gz  20010629_2.gz  20010707_2.gz  20010717_1.gz

Backups on Monday and Tuesday failed -> index files from 2001-07-23 and
2001-07-24 are missing. If I understand you right, setting the date to
2001-07-19 should be successful, because the last full dump is from 07-18.
But this fails with the same error message as setting the date to 07-12
(amrecover message above).

> Also, if you're using GNU tar, make sure the files are formatted properly.
> If you look at the first few lines and they start with a large number, it
> means you're using a broken version of GNU tar.  You'll need to upgrade
> to 1.13.19 (alpha.gnu.org), and those index files are pretty much junk
> (unless you want to strip the leading number off of each line).

I've already recovered files earlier successfully. That was a few months ago,
when we started with amanda. Thus I think it should not be a tar problem. And
tar wasn't exchanged since then. The content of 20010719_1.gz looks like the
following lines and I think they are ok?!?

/
/bin/
/lib/
/lib/Netlogon/
/lib/Netlogon/Win95/
/lib/Netlogon/WinNT/
/lib/Profiles/
/lib/Profiles/ahipke/
/lib/Profiles/ahipke/WinNT/

> Make sure all the directories and files are readable by the Amanda user
> (the one that runs amindexd from inetd/xinetd).

This is ok.

> backups from the date you're interested in back through a full dump.
>
> >The backups were flushed to the tape NEURO006 and I would have expected
> >that amanda requests tape NEURO007 next, but it tells me that it would
> >like a new tape.  ...
>
> If Amanda asks for a new tape, it means the number of tapes in your
> tapelist file is less than your tapecycle value.
>
> >Am I right that I would have been informed if one tape
> >were not enough for amflush?!?
>
> One way or another.  If you have a tape changer configured, amflush
> would have automatically advanced to another tape (up to runtapes),
> just like amdump.

> If you don't and amflush ran into end of tape, it would have reported
> an error and told you it left some images in the holding disk.
>
> If your holding disk is now empty, then the amflush probably worked.

Yes it is empty so this should be fine...

> Exactly what happened should have been documented in the amflush E-mail.

It just told me that everything was fine and that it expects a new tape what
sound strange for me  :-(

> >Something else is strange: after amflush I tried amcheck still having
> >tape NEURO006 in the tape drive. And amcheck was happy. It was happy
> >with NEURO007 as well.
>
> That seems very wrong.
>
> Are you sure amflush did anything to NEURO006?  If you run:
>
>   amadmin <config> find <some-client>
>
> (where "some-client" is a client you know was flushed) does it show
> that tape?  Were any errors reported in the amflush E-mail?
>
> >Could the problems accessing the tape drive during the last days have
> >left some corrupt info files?!?
>
> Not likely.
>
> >I would really be glad to get some advice where to look and what to do!
>
> Take a very close look at your tapelist file and at your tapecycle value.

This is the content of our tapelist file. I think it should have more than
one line?!?

20010725 NEURO007 reuse

And we have set tapecycle to 25 tapes.

> Also, "amadmin <config> tape" is a handy way to see what tape(s) Amanda
> expects to use next.

It tells me:  The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.

We are using amanda since March. Sometimes amcheck had problems accessing the
tape drive but it never had influence on the nightly backup. Until this week
:-(

I hope that I have answered all questions detailed enough...

Even if the index should be lost I should be able to restore old files using
amrestore?!?

Christina Rossmanith