On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:05:25AM -0500, Katrinka Dall wrote:
>  FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- xxxxxx.p /dev/sdb1 lev 0 FAILED ["data write: File too large"]

Does it fail after backing up 2 Gigabyte?

It sounds like you don't have Large File Support (LFS).

> sendbackup: start [xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx.xxxxx.com:/dev/sdb1 level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> \--------
>
>       Now, I know that this isn't an issue of not having enough space on the
> tape or holding disk, both are in excess of 35G.  Some of the things I
> have tried are, upgrading tar on the server that is failing, upgrading
> the backup server from RedHat 6.2 to 7.1, and using every available
> version of Amanda.  Currently I am using Amanda-2.4.2p2.  The client
> that I'm having these problems on is a RedHat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.36)
> machine.

Redhat 7.1 should include a kernel, libraries and utilities with LFS.
Did you install some of the utilities manually, or were they all from
RedHat 7.1? (e.g. amanda?)

If so, you need to recompile this on your RH71 system, to make them
support > 2Gb files.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad