In a message dated: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:21:13 +0200
Sandor Feher said:

>HI,
>
>I use 2.4.2p2 and I have a weird problem with my tapes.
>Sometimes they work sometimes not. Rather not in these time.
>I back up my data to a hp surestore t4000 and I got the following
>message:
>
>bash-2.04$ /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /images/tmp: 312064 KB disk space available, that's plenty
>ERROR: /dev/nst0: rewinding tape: Input/output error
>       (expecting tape Napi02 or a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 30.173 seconds

What happens if you run amcheck again immediately after this?

I see similar problems with 'amtape <conf> current' or 'amlabel'
quite often, but if I run the same command again (sometimes I need to
do it twice) it eventually comes back correctly.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I'd guess there's some time-out
somewhere that needs to be increased.  It almost seems that amanda
isn't waiting long enough for the tape drive to get back to her.
--

Seeya,
Paul