On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:38:56PM -0500, John R. Jackson wrote:
> >I am using amanda 4.2P2 and would like to be able to influence the order
> >files are backed up to tape.  I would prefer largest files first.  ...
> >...  Is there some way of configuring the planner to do this?
>
> You need to change driver, not planner.  The entries are currently sorted
> by estimated dump time (toward the end of read_schedule()).  If that's
> close enough, you might be able to just change LITTLE_DUMPERS to zero
> at the front of the file so all the dumpers are taking entries from the
> end of the list.
>
> Note that such a change is likely to significantly reduce the amount of
> parallelism built into Amanda and increase the total run time.

I always compile amanda with LITTLE_DUMPERS set to zero and it is faster,
but I have a lot of holding disk. If you don't have enough holding disk
amanda will be slower if you set LITTLE_DUMPERS to zero.

Jean-Louis
--
Jean-Louis Martineau             email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Departement IRO, Universite de Montreal