Richard,

You are able to set up your disklist in such a way that you can control the
size of each filesystem that will be dumped.  You do not have to backup by
disk or partition.  You can backup by individual directories.  For example,
here is a section of my disklist file:
### AIX on SBS
sbs /                          root-tar
sbs /usr                       root-tar
sbs /home                      root-tar

### Gemini on SBS
sbs /gemini/disk1/d0           gemini-full-high
sbs /gemini/disk1/d1           gemini-full-high
sbs /gemini/disk1/d5           gemini-full-high
sbs /gemini/disk1/laisys       gemini-inc-low
sbs /gemini/disk1/obj          gemini-inc-low
sbs /gemini/disk1/sys          gemini-inc-low

sbs /gemini/disk2/d2           gemini-full-high
sbs /gemini/disk2/d7           gemini-full-med

Now even though our /gemini filesystem is 40GB, I am able to backup fine by
specifying subdirectories in my disklist.

I hope this helps you out!

Anthony Valentine