All,

Thanks to the help of this list, I have just recently configured Amanda and
run my first backups.  However, I'm experiencing problems with amverify and
amrecover.  The morning after the first backups ran, I tried to run amverify
on the first tape of the run.  Here's the report I got back from amverify
(ran for at least an hour):

Tapes:  linuxman11
Errors found:
linuxman11 (linuxman._mnt_share_Angela.20011023.0):
amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20011023 label linuxman11
amrestore:   1: restoring linuxman._mnt_share_Angela.20011023.0
amrestore: read error: Input/output error
/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
64+0 records in
64+0 records out
linuxman11 ():
amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
** No header
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
linuxman11 ():
amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
** No header
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
linuxman11 ():
amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
** No header
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
linuxman11 ():
amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
** No header
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
linuxman11 ():
amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
** No header
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
amtape: could not load slot 2: Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage
Element 1...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
amtape: could not load slot 2: Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage
Element 1...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes

amverify linuxman
Tue Oct 23 17:34:44 MST 2001

Using device /dev/nst0
Volume linuxman11, Date 20011023
** Error detected (linuxman._mnt_share_Angela.20011023.0)
amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20011023 label linuxman11
amrestore:   1: restoring linuxman._mnt_share_Angela.20011023.0
amrestore: read error: Input/output error
/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
64+0 records in
64+0 records out
** Error detected ()
[...]
Too many errors.
** Error loading slot next
amtape: could not load slot 2: Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage
Element 1...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
Advancing past the last tape...
** Error advancing after last slot
amtape: could not load slot 2: Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage
Element 1...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes

After it finished, the tape drive was flashing an error and requested a
cleaning.  I cleaned the drive and let amdump run last night.  Everything
completed successfully, so I tried amverify on todays tape.  This time the
machine locked up solid...no mouse, no keyboard, nothing.

I also tried to run amrecover.  Everything worked great up until I tried to
do the actual extract.  I loaded the tape and amrecover began
rewinding/seeking the drive, but then just seemed to hang.  I rebooted.

Anyone have any idea as to where I should begin looking for the problem?
Drive issue, SCSI problem? I know it's not actual errors on the tape since I
CAN recover the data manually using mt, dd, and tar.  I also know the index
for each disklist entry is correct since I manually g unzipped them and
amrecover requested the correct tape for the file I requested.  Thanks for
the help.

Mike