Hi all.

I've been using Amanda for about 4 years now, on a variety of platforms.

I've just found out that the current site I'm at is having corrupt backup
problems. The backups complete without errors, but the data on the tape is
bad.

We're running amanda-2.4.2p2 on a Linux debian stable system, 2 scsi cards
both Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI, tape is a Sony SDT-9000 DAT on the second
card. Kernel version is 2.2.17

Here's an example from dd

backup@oolon:~$ dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE 20011206 TAPE gcsi02

ìAô  ¤¯Ñ

Piyf: !WËåÏìéÔ¿hn]lyf2B&0ÅÉÚ=s'
mglÎÉív^é©ðhd¹^@ËÐîdæ<~_fûÜÖêg-'4K({ð¡ªäs]ö?×kò^)^n²bÄ·û¸j°;å,?¾Õ÷­Ñ
à°¦´Ül2X¡éêgïì°30ô7{;°û.Z ¦LdUÓkºfHDÖhY¥´sC|¾}¯6ø.U
Ù~Ý`ï#ñ(ðøp²I;{Õµ/'Ð&X$ëJååC·3K+mJ¶UPD  UDÝ%ȵ?69¦WäA@¼öåã #X& öX¡ç
\¹Ã-¨÷XÔ2Å  ¹K;ÏÉÜ.>K èMÉ¡, -CÜUÍä
à9´QäûÄ8uêX¶[g¨6Ù%zÖ«WG!É]Å¥âúå8>f¾&^8÷ÁÈF¨l±ð-ÁÌäÉ5<fi%Móª ËÇåOÎ       ²¾]

The tapes all appear to have the same garbage on them (except tape name, of
course) and about 30% of the 30 tapes I'm using are just fine, perfect backup
and restores. It doesn't appear to be a specific tape, I've managed to get
both a good and a bad backup onto/off of the same tape media.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm guessing that this is a bad tape
drive??

--
Rick Morris
Network Manager