On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 at 3:05pm, Don Potter wrote

> I'm presently testing amanda out before I proceed with actually
> implementation.  I' m just sending dumps to the holding area to see
> speed and so forth.  My holding area is 34GB and I have the reserve set
> for 50%.
>
> The dumps aren't  saved since I have the tapedev set for /dev/null.

I don't recall if amanda will even put dumps on holding disk with such a
tapedev.  The canonical way to fool amanda into doing this is to use
something like /dev/nosuchdevice.

> I have two file systems that will no dump to holding_area statin g that
> they are too large:
>
>   chgsfs     /home5 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, but cannot incremental dump
>new disk]
>   exon       /export/home/bioproj00 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, but cannot
>incremental dump new disk]
>
> the filesystem derived from exon is about 10GB so I can't rationalize
> why the cojmplaint about lack of space when that isn't really the case.

Amanda is still going to use your tapetype to determine if things will fit
on tape.  So if your tapetype is set to, e.g., something 7GB big, then
Amanda is going to complain as above.  Remember, a single filesystem can't
be bigger than a tape.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering