Is all of this on the server "amanda". Have you installed amanda on the
client machine. Is the client demon running on the machine "wendy"? It
needs to be mentioned in wendy:/etc/inetd.conf. If the client is not
running then amanda on the server "amanda" will not be able to
communicate with it. Also, check the /etc/hosts files (or your nis maps
/ dns). Amanda on the client checks that the server making the request
is genuine by checking that the server's IP resolves to the server's
name and vice-versa. If they don't match, amanda won't run.

I hope this helps.

James Thorne.

--
UNIX and Comms, Computing, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Tel:   +44 (0)20 8332 5729