On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 at 9:40pm, Chris Marble wrote

> ? sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
> |   DUMP: Broken pipe
> |   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
> ? index returned 1
> sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 3, compress got signal 24]
> \--------
>
> If I take out compression for this disk all is fine (I'm doing the gzip
> on the client (machine with the disk).  It's an amanda problem of some
> sort but I have given up trying to fix it (started happening when I
> cranked down the dumpcycle to try and squeeze a set of archivals onto
> fewer tapes.  It'd happened once months before but went away by itself).

Hmmm.  It seems like it could be a gzip problem.  Have you tried running
the dump/gzip command line (found in sendbackup*debug) by hand?

> sendsize: argument list: /bin/gtar --create --file /dev/null --directory /home
>--one-file-system --listed-in
> cremental /usr/local/pkg/amanda-2.4.2p2/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/Odin_home_0.new
>--sparse --ignore-failed-rea
> d --totals .
> runtar: error [must be invoked by operator]

What does 'ls -l /usr/local/libexec/runtar' (or wherever you installed
runtar) say?  IIRC, runtar needs to be owned by root and setuid.  Also,
what does your (x)inetd entry for amandad look like?  runtar isn't getting
run by the right user.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering