Installed basic amanda on RH7.2 using RH rpm's
got basic system running and tried default /etc backup of localhost.
amrestore allowed single file restore... interface seems simple enough to
use.

updated disklist with remote machine
this time using comp-root for / on a machine with 15G in use.
backup went just fine.

tried to do amrestore
got error message:

# amrestore -s tserv.meridian-ds.com -t tserv.meridian-ds.com -d /dev/nst0
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on tserv.meridian-ds.com ...
amrecover: Unexpected server end of file.

the /tmp/amanda/amrecover.2002<datestuff>.debug file contains.
amrecover: debug 1 pid 29658 ruid 0 euid 0 start time Thur ...
amrecover: stream_client: connected to 65.64.90.11.10082
amrecover: stream_client: our side is 0.0.0.0.540

I have entries for amanda, amandaidx, amidxtape in /etc/services for both
the client and server.
I have restarted network and xinetd on both servers
RH 7.2 is using /etc/xinetd.d for inetd configuration.
There are 3 files, one for amanda, amandaidx, & amidxtape. On both machines
I have these set to disable=no

tried to find archives to look through... latest I could find on ftp site
ended in 1999.
references in those messages seemed to point to problems in /etc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf
I have reviewed all that and added the 10082 & 10083 entries on both
machines with the above noted restarted services.

nothing seems to change the error (except putting the firewall up on the
server... but that is down for these tests<grin>)

Any pointers or ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Kurt L Vanderwater
President,
Meridian Data Systems, Inc.