On December 28 2001, Amanda Listee wrote:

>   I'm trying to install the tapeless amanda-242-tapeio sourceforge version
> on a FreeBSD-4.4 white box:

[snip]

>       hotpink# make
>       Making all in config
>       Making all in common-src
>       "Makefile", line 440: Need an operator
>       make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>       *** Error code 1

Nearly every time I've seen the "Need an operator" error when building
something on FreeBSD, it has been because the Makefile is generated for GNU
make, and the BSD make does not like it.  Autoconf almost always produces
these types of makefiles, and the Amanda build is not unique in this.

If you don't have it installed already, install GNU make
(cd /usr/ports/ devel/gmake; make all && make install) and then use it to
make Amanda (type "gmake" rather than "make").

You should also try using gmake whenever you see that "Need an operator"
error while building something from source.  In some cases, and I can't
remember if this is true of Amanda, you'll need to make sure that gmake
spawns itself when multiple "make" processes are involved.  You can do this
by setting the environment variable MAKE.  I usually invoke gmake like this:

gmake MAKE=gmake <target>

Where <target> is the Makefile target (usually "all" or "install").

You'll notice that "USE_GMAKE= yes" appears in the FreeBSD ports of Amanda
(/usr/ports/misc/amanda24-server/Makefile is the master makefile for the
ports), for this very reason.

Of course, you should probably also follow the advice you received from
Jean-Louis Martineau and use the amanda-243-branch sources.

I hope this helps,

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>